Photos in order of appearance: lower lawn and putting green, c. 1927 (the Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens Archives); lower lawn looking towards Italian Garden, 2012; lower lawn and Cummer Oak, 2012.
The lower lawn was originally a putting green, which was a gift from Mrs. Cummer to her husband. It is heralded as one of the first private putting greens in Florida, probably constructed during the first decade of the twentieth century.
The lower lawn was also the site of many charitable events during Mrs. Cummer’s lifetime. Organizations such as the Children’s Home Society were the beneficiaries of Mr. and Mrs. Cummer’s philanthropic activities. The Cummer Gardens were often the site of carnivals for children, afternoon teas and receptions for the Jacksonville community.