Photos in order of appearance: Tea Garden looking towards the St. Johns River, 2012; Tea Garden, 2012; concrete and mosaic fountain by William Mercer, 2012.
The Tea Garden was the site of many afternoon tea parties for Mrs. Cummer. Its elevated perch and shady location make it a great spot to enjoy the English Garden’s blooms. This is also where Mrs. Cummer shared her gardening expertise with friends. Those gatherings evolved into the first meeting of the Florida Federation of Garden Clubs in 1922.
Mr. and Mrs. Cummer collected outdoor sculptures, including these barrel chairs and other ornaments, for their gardens. The peacock fountain a few feet away in the English Garden is one of many objects in the gardens made by William Mercer (1862-1939), a craftsman known for his sculpted and cast concrete works.